A Brief History Of The BISF House
The BISF house is a British Steel Framed house, designed and produced by the British Iron and Steel Federation, and erected around the country from 1946 often using prisoners and former prisoners of war.
During the Second World War, the Inter-departmental Committee on House construction, commonly called the Burt Committee, was formed. This committee was responsible for the evaluation of war-time and post war buildings.
The Burt Committee looked at the efficiency, economy and speed of construction of all forms of building.
Among the first research topics was an examination of possible economies in the use of steel and prefabricated materials.
With the exception of aircraft factories, it was possible to standardise a limited number of designs that showed considerable cost savings with the use of steel and reinforced concrete.
Following the Second World War there was a surplus of steel and aluminium and an industry in need of diversification following the war effort.
The move toward pre-fabrication was made and many new types of construction emerged including concrete (in both pre-cast and in-situ forms), timber-framed and steel framed systems.
While most systems were intended to provide permanent long-term housing some were intended as emergency or temporary accommodation, however the BISF House was built as a permanent dwelling.
Sir Winston Churchill wanted half a million non-traditional houses to be built across the country as a stop-gap measure until sufficient labour could be mobilised to create only permanent housing.
The British Iron & Steel Federation (BISF) was formed in 1934 as an association of steel producers who were able to provide central planning for the industry along with vast resources that played a major role in coordinating steel output through World War Two.
Post-war, the BISF played a key role in the new Ministry of Works Emergency Factory Made housing programme sponsoring a number of new steel based designs including those put forward by the architect Sir Frederick Gibberd and engineer Donovan Lee. Gibberd was also responsible for the design the Howard House and many other buildings including The Liverpool Metropolitan Cathedral.
Produced by the British Steel Homes company, the BISF House was a very successful design, thanks to the backing of its trade sponsors the British Iron & Steel federation who could ensure a steady supply of steel.
The BISF house also benefited from a guaranteed order of 30,000 units given directly by the Government in 1941 and between 36,000 and 40,000 houses were built over a period of 6 years.