Latest

Boot Pier and Panel House

Manufactured by: Henry Boot & Sons

Number Built: England 7200 / Scotland 1000

Year of Manufacture: 1910 – 1930

The structure of the early 1900s Boot house comprises of twin, precast reinforced concrete columns set at approximately 3 ft centres. Each column is constructed with an inner and outer section located within the two leaves of the external walls. They were joined together at the ground, first-floor and roof levels. Within each storey the twin columns were tied together using mild steel wall ties. A precast reinforced concrete ring beam component were keyed into these columns at first-floor level in the inner and
outer leaves.

At the eaves level a concrete ring beam was cast in situ (on site and in place) against a timber wall plate, which stabilises and locates the columns and other wall components.
The two leaves are formed by breeze block, which are also keyed into the components of the columns.
Where an opening is present, the twin columns were joined across the cavity to form the reveals.

The external walls were generally rendered throughout.

Floors and roofs are of traditional construction.

General Stability

There are four factors which contribute to the overall stability of the Boot house. These are:
1. The interaction of blockwork with the columns to form external shear walls.
2. The mild steel tie rods within the cavities which tie the corner columns to adjacent columns.
3. The ring beams at first-floor and eaves level which help to locate the columns and redistribute local loads.
4. Internal blockwork partitions and floor construction.



Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.