Advice needed for plumbing  

Hi there, I've hopefully secured myself a BISF house. BA2. I really want to move the bathroom plumbing to the outside of the house. This should result in the bathroom fixtures being able to be moved and remove the "boxed in" pipe from the kitchen freeing up the wall space. I've looked at the outsides of houses and it is possible as loads of them have done it. Are there any major issues with doing this? I will be asking a lot of questions over the coming months as the house is in need of a total renovation apart from the roof! Please be patient with me 🙂

Many thanks. Dawn

Edited: 5 months  ago

Hi Dawn, 

Congratulations upon securing your property! Removing the waste pipe is a practical move that will also improve the aesthetics inside your home and in general, it's a pretty straightforward task.

You just need to decide if you want to remove the entire pipe, from ground to first floor, which will also allow for the box to be removed from the ground floor, (Usually inside the kitchen) or as some people choose, leave the pipe inside the wall but only remove the upper section from the bathroom. The latter method would mean installing a shorter breather valve on top of the existing pipe onto which the toliet pan is connected.

This allows for removal of the boxing in the bathroom but the boxing and pipe would remain on the downstairs wall.

Personally, I removed the entire pipe by first removing all the wall boxing and surrounding frame. I then smashed the lower half of the stench pipe (waste pipe) using a lump hammer whilst the upper section of pipe was supported by a friend. Eventually the entire pipe was lowered down and removed.

A new plastic pipe was then lined up on the outside wall and hole was cut into the outer render through which we pushed the curved section of pipe extension, which then fitted directly onto the clay collar in which had previously sat the cast iron stench pipe.

After that, it was just a matter or using the appropriate bosses to feed smaller waste pipes to the bathroom sink and bath.

I'm sure there is a post on the site, where senior member Ed was asking the same question. I'll try and find a link for you.

Remember though, that it a lot of properties, the stench pipe exits up into the loft and out through the roof. If your home has a lightweight steel tile roofing system fitted, it should be easy to cover this hole with a new sheet of tile, otherwise you will need to patch the hole to ensure that the roof is watertight.

Eds Bathroom refurbishment

Here's the link, any questions, just ask!

Marc

I've just taken a couple of images for you of my stench pipe, on the outside of the house.

You can see where the curved extension pipe re-enters the house and one image taken under my kitchen cupboards where you can see the pipe sitting in the floor collar. (apologies for a dark and grainy image)

IMG 2516 min
IMG 2516 min
IMG 2516 min

Edited: 5 months  ago

Thanks for the advice Marc. The pics are really useful. I can't seem to access the photos of Ed's refurb though. Might have to go and find him once I've moved in! I feel a little confident that I should be able to do a lot of this myself as I've had some basic plumbing training. Cheers, Dawn

Working

Please Login or Register