Is this a BISF house?  

Anyone have any thoughts if this is a BISF house, there are a variety of styles on the road from brick, tiles, render and plastic cladding on the upper storey, the roof in this is solid wooden beams.

It's Kings Lane, Stretford M32 8GG, i've dug around and can't confirm, i'm not sure it is a steel frame house but the estate agent thinks so.

Any help would be appreciated!

BISF

Hi Ph, thank you for  providing the postcode and sharing an image.

The house shown is not of BISF construction but it could well be a different type of non-standard constructed house.

I'll do some digging and see what I can find out for you, but it's not always easy to get a result as you appear to have found out.

Great thanks, I'm not convinced it is actually steel framed but getting mixed reports!

Well, I've spent a while going through all of my research material and I cannot find anything that matches the building that we see.

Sadly, we can't even look into the Trafford Council's housing stock lists because their housing stock was transferred over to a housing association in 2005 and as such, they are not required to provide that information, so no joy there.

I have sent an e-mail to a local Estate Agency, asking the if they have a record of the construction types of these properties in Kings Lane. I will let you know if I receive a response.

Apart from the visible rear extension protruding from the gable wall, they do appear to be of traditional construction, however, appearances can be deceiving.

If you plan on viewing this property, I would suggest having a quick look at the roof beams inside the loft space. If it was of steel framed construction, you would typically see evidence of this in the loft, although saying that, some steel framed buildings can still have timber rafters.

I've attached an image of a Trusteel frame as viewed from the loft space. Not all steel frames look exactly like this one, but it will give you an idea of what I mean.

I'm sorry I can't be more specific at this time and hope I have been of some help to you.

Regards

Marc

trusteel roof system

Thanks for the help, yes it is a bit of a mystrey, there are clues as some of the EPC say system built, but then some say cavity wall. I am thinking perhaps ground floor is brick then the top is a metal structure but then the roof is pretty substantial which would be odd for steel. See picture.

tiles

System built will typically mean non-traditional or non-standard construction using any one of a number of different building methods/ fabrics, such as steel framed, pre-cast concrete, timber framed etc. You can still have a system built house with a cavity wall because sometimes the cavities are built around a frame. This is opposed to a traditional brick built construction, whereby the walls are self supporting in conjunction with some internal solid walls and timber joists for lateral strength.

The good news is I have managed to find the construction type from deep within my archives.

These properties are in fact Dennis-Wild steel framed houses.

The layout and design though, does vary quite considerably, which is why I never picked it up straight away. In part, this was due to the protruding section that I mentioned earlier, coming off the gable wall. 

The Building Research Establishment have only one image on file  for the Dennis-Wild House,  which you can see below in the first image. However, whilst searching through my own research archives I found several more depictions, that match more closely.

dennis wild

In fact, I see that Kings Lane contains both versions and I can only presume, that one type may be 4 bed and the other possibly a 3 bed layout.

The curve ball, so to speak, was that the Dennis Wild house unlike that vast majority of steel framed houses, does not have visible steel roof trusses. Instead it incorporated it's own unique and patented timber roof system known as the 'Wild Cradle' system. This was based on timber roof trusses of 225mm x 75mm which also incorporated steel tie rods and the use of visible, structural cast iron panels for the walls which were bolted together.

Dennis Wild properties typically contained standard rolled steel sections using stanchions that were much heavier than those used in other systems of the 1920's. In the majority of properties, the steelwork received no additional surface protection in the forms of coatings or protective paint. Some steelwork was encased in concrete and the stanchions were typically spaced quite wide apart.

The Dennis-Wild was built to resemble a Standard brick built house and it certainly achieved that, catching out many a Surveyor.

The cavity widths do vary and the internal steel frame does sometimes connect with the outer leaf of the brick wall. Driving rain has been known to penetrate the outer leaf, causing water ingress, which in turn can accelerate corrosion, with much of the moisture falling down to the stanchion feet, where corrosion is more likely. This sometimes necessitates repair or removal of the outer leaf in extreme cases.

Please remember though, that severe corrosion usually only occurs in severe cases. Surveyors and the BRE tend to list these areas, as being subject to increased scrutiny due to past identification in certain properties.

I am currently working on a new article regarding these houses which will include more information.

I hope this has helped.

Marc

Dennis wilde side steel frame
dennis wild house

dennis wild 800
dennis wild steel framed house charteris rd bradford
dennis wild 3

Edited: 2 weeks  ago

That's great thank you!

I just had an email from the council who have confirmed what you have said and are Dennis Wild.

I can see the metal ties in the roof images, i thought they were some form of plumbing.

The council did refurb these in late 80's so hoping mine was one of them, but they inspected there stock in 2003 and seemed to be in good condition (may have had refurb but then may be original steel as didn't note any repair on the frame).

I've attached the council report which may be useful for your article and lists condition and defects etc.

Thanks for the help!

Glad to be of assistance and thank you for the report!

Every little helps toward assisting others.

You know where we are if you need any further, we will always do our best to assist.

Marc

Working

Please Login or Register