Do You Live In a BISF House?
The Green Deal Is Back 2017

The Government’s energy efficient, home improvement loan scheme, the Green Deal, has just been relaunched – but this time it is being funded by the private sector. The first 3 loans have been issued according to Kilian Pender, the new Green Deal Finance Company chief executive. What is the Green Deal? The Green Deal was a Government scheme […]

DIY Patio Door Installation Project BISF House
A.J Balfour BISF House Frame Inspection & Repair
Consulting Civil and Structural Engineers

BISF Houses Are Not Defective Under Part XV1 of the Housing Act 1985 Of all the e-mails that we receive here at BISF House, by far the most common relate to home buyers receiving surveys whereby the Survyor has wrongly labelled a BISF house as “Defective under Prt XV1 of the Housing Act 1985. Before […]

BISF HOUSES
NOT DEFECTIVE
List of Precast Concrete Houses by Build Type.
List of Metal Framed Houses by Build Type.
In Situ Concrete Houses by Build Type.
Arrow
Arrow
Shadow
Slider

Woodchip  

Hi, I am in the process of buying a bisf house but every wall has Woodchip on . Is there any easy way to remove it ? Would it be easier to replace the plasterboard walls ( would this be costly ) Thanks in advance , angela

Hi Angela, sorry to hear that you have the dreaded woodchip on your walls, it can be a nightmare to remove from the walls of any home.

Using a steam wallpaper stripper may help a little but it’s not going to be an easy job I’m afraid.

You could cover the walls in plasterboard but you have the cost of each board plus the cost of new plaster and thats presuming you can locate the timber studs in order to secure the new plasterboards onto the existing wall. You could have them dabbed on using plaster bonding adhesive which will probably be a lot easier.

Many BISF houses were originally fitted out with hardboard walls instead of plasterboard, particularly on the ground floor, so it may be worth checking if yours are actually plasterboard or hardboard. If they are indeed currently hardboard walls, personally I would remove the boards and replace with plasterboard anyway as hardboard walls tend to bow, and they aren’t very fire resistant.

Do you know if your walls are plasterboard or hardboard?

Plus, you may find your ceilings are fitted with fibre board rather than plasterboard and if so, that should be replaced too.

You can usually tell if hardboard or fibreboard has been used as the surface isn’t perfectly flat and often undulates.

If you can take a photo of one of your walls and post it here that would help.

Marc

From experience I'd recommend replacing the boards even if they are plasterboard. I replaced some and stripped the wallpaper off others and had them skimmed, and the finish isn't nearly as good on the latter. The original plasterboard will probably be in a poor state after having had the woodchip steamed off and it is also thinner than the plasterboard that is recommended for walls. The other option is to use new wallpaper or lining paper but that is quite fiddly and the finish will not be especially good as the plasterboard nails and the joints between boards show through.

Working

Please Login or Register