Sam Telfer
(@Sam Telfer)

I have a bisf house in fintry dundee. Finavon terrace

1 Reply
BISF Admin
Admin
(@bisfadmin)

Noble Member

Hi Sam, I'm re replying to your comment because we appear to have lost some topic replies after a site update during the summer and for that I apologise.

The Houses in Finavon Terrace aren't actually BISF houses but from your excellent photograph above, they do appear to be timber framed.

I am in total awe of the extremely wide variety of non-traditional construction types that have been built in Scotland, many of which appear to have been built in no other parts of the UK.
I'm currently awaiting a response from Dundee Council for details of construction types used throughout Dundee and in particular, in Finavon, which should provide further information as to each construction type here as Finavon Terrace does appear to have several different build types.

I hope to update you shortly.

Marc

Bryan McAlister Architect
 Bryan McAlister Architect
(@Bryan McAlister Architect)

I have become aware of a significant number of single storey bungalows in Baird Grove, Edinburgh and Kirkhill Road and Drive, Edinburgh. They appear to have been built by a Thomson& Rae or Rae & Co around 1926/7 and initial investigation shows a roughcast external leaf of 100mm approx. concrete, a wide cavity and plasterboard internal lining on 50x50 battens. Overall wall thickness matches a conventional cavity build.

Dewar
Registered
(@dewar)

I have Just popped back into this forum to check on any responses from my first post, in relation to trying to find a similar set of house plans, only to realise that your list of BISF Properties for the Scotland area lacks my address.

On Thorburn Crescent, Annan there are many numerous Semi-Detached BISF built properties, not only here, but in the immediate local area, there are hundreds...

How do you actually update your database, a visit, confirmation via Google ?

I hope this helps 🙂

BISF Admin
Admin
(@bisfadmin)
Noble Member

Hello Dewar and thank you for your post.
I have taken a look at Thornburn Crescent via Google Streetview but I cannot see any BISF (British Iron & Steel Federation) houses at this location. I can see various forms of non-traditional constructions but the list above refers only to BISF steel framed houses. At first glance, some of the houses in Thornburn Cres appear to be of concrete construction but it would require investigation to identify the exact type.

Dewar
Registered
(@dewar)

Hello,

I have just posted in "A New BISF Owner" that I have been doing some research and I have found a PDF document called ...

"Catalogue_of_House_Building_Construction_Systems_1960_0"

This PDF details all the BISF Constructions, including what I believe to be mine, which is a B.I.S.F Steel Frame "A", highlighted on pg 292 of the PDF.

Page 2 / 3
Share:
Scroll to Top