New conservatory roof  

RSS

(@jaybee)
Trusted Member Registered
26/10/2017 12:12 pm  

Getting an estimate on Monday night for a new conservatory roof (polycarbonate at present)

This involves new gutters, spars etc etc fitted onto the existing walls etc. Basically a new roof dropped onto the conservatory.

We don't mind the polycarb but being SW facing it does get a tad warm in the summer (freezing in the winter though) and a pain to clean and keep clean.  My question is "Is it worth paying double the cost (4k ish as opposed to 2k ish) to have a Guardian Warm Roof System replacement instead?

Anyone have this warm roof type installed?

ReplyQuote
(@jaybee)
26/10/2017 1:25 pm  

It just dawned on me that we had the conservatory built 18 years ago and converting the dining room window into french doors and adding double glazing throughout were the first things we did in the house (not that we have done much alteration)

It also dawned on me that the reason we have just had builders in replacing all of the silicone sealant inside and out of the windows/conservatory, all of the fascias (is that the right term) removed and re fastened around the windows + other small jobs is the fact that over those 18 years glues/bonding materials etc etc etc had developed so much. The way the fascias have been "restuck" to the windows frames etc used glues that just were not available to the builder who initially did the work. 

I'm sure the builders/ competent DIY'ers on here have seen a revolution in building materials/sealants etc over those 18 years.

Old craftsmen must look in wonder at the new adhesives/materials/battery operated power tools that were not available to them 🙂

(forgive the mess in the photo below - with so many rooms being worked on everything seems to be finding it's way into the conservatory 🙂 )

DSC7699

Edited: 2 months  ago

ReplyQuote
(@jaybee)
26/10/2017 9:36 pm  

Forgot to mention that the Guardian warm roof system would allow us to have the same Tapco tiles we put on the outhouse.

ReplyQuote
(@jaybee)
03/12/2017 11:07 am  

Work began on the conservatory roof yesterday.

The guy doing the work had measured up a few weeks ago. All of his measurements/angles were sent to Guardian and two days the roof was delivered.

Every part is numbered and the delivery included detailed plans specific to our roof and the part numbers.

Once the old roof had been removed the adding of the new roof was a little like building a mechano set.

The substantial aluminum struts bolt into place like a jigsaw. To the outside is added the precut exterior ply which is then covered with weatherproof felt. The Tapco tiles will be installed onto this on Monday.

The interior has 5" of thermal insulation added in 3 layers and then plasterboad finish (plaster comes on Friday to do this)

Spotlights and electrics will be done Tuesday.

c7
c7
c7
c7
c7
c7
c7
c7
c7
c7
c7

Edited: 1 week  ago

ReplyQuote
(@bisfadmin)
Estimable Member Admin
03/12/2017 11:15 am  

I have to agree Jaybee, with the advent of new super strong polymers, bondings have taken a huge leap forward in their capabilities. Many of these new substances can be used even when submerged under water, which would have been unheard of a few years back.

A lot of people don't realise that silicone does degrade over time, particularly when exposed to high levels of UV light.

Like your conservatory, ours is SW facing and in the summer, it really is like an oven. I can still remember the installer telling me that he had taken down more South facing conservatories that what he had actually put up, due to the amount of heat generated being in full sun.

ReplyQuote
(@jaybee)
03/12/2017 11:19 am  

The proof will be found out in time but apparently these Guardian warm roof systems make the conservatory part of the house (their intention I suppose) Warm in the winter and cool in the summer. Ritchie (the builder) reckons we should be able to leave the doors open (from dining room into conservatory) without any ill effects on the temperature of the house - maybe a slight exaggeration but it will be nice to be able to sit in there at last.

As it was we couldn't grow tropical plants in ours and in the winter it was ideal for making ice cubes 🙂

ReplyQuote
(@bisfadmin)
Estimable Member Admin
03/12/2017 11:34 am  
Posted by: Jaybee

Work began on the conservatory roof yesterday.

The guy doing the work had measured up a few weeks ago. All of his measurements/angles were sent to Guardian and two days the roof was delivered.

Every part is numbered and the delivery included detailed plans specific to our roof and the part numbers.

Once the old roof had been removed the adding of the new roof was a little like building a mechano set.

The substantial aluminum struts bolt into place like a jigsaw. To the outside is added the precut exterior ply which is then covered with weatherproof felt. The Tapco tiles will be installed onto this on Monday.

The interior has 5" of thermal insulation added in 3 layers and then plasterboad finish (plaster comes on Friday to do this)

Spotlights and electrics will be done Tuesday.

c7
c7
c7
c7
c7
c7
c7
c7
c7
c7
c7

Wow, it looks like the work is really steaming ahead now! It's good to see what method they are using in your photos Jaybee. I had thought of overboarding my own conservatory and finishing it off with a lightweight roofing system such as Britmet or Decra. In the end I chose to insulate from the inside, probably due in part to my never having fitted a steel roofing system before and questioning my own abilities.

In the end I insulated and plasterboarded the underside of the polycarb roof leaving the outside polycarb in place. It certainly doesn't look as attractive as a tile effect roof but it is a lot warmer.

I also decided to build a stud wall in front of the glass which faced my neighbour's side, It was originally a flemish style glass behind which were fence panels to my neighbours. It didn't really look that nice and despite the glass being opaque, you could still make out the ugly panels sitting right behind it.

I'll post a couple of images below to give you an idea of what I mean.

conservatory wall
conservatory wall
conservatory wall
conservatory wall
conservatory wall
conservatory wall

ReplyQuote
(@jaybee)
03/12/2017 11:55 am  

Marc I am in awe at the work (and the standard of that work) you do in your home.

I should have hired you when we first bought the house all those years ago and given you free reign over what to do with the house (maybe not quite as contemporary as you as we are old fuddy duddies now)

ReplyQuote
(@jaybee)
03/12/2017 11:59 am  

Marc is that a hot air heater above the dining room doors?

If so have you any details?

Another mistake we made was not installing any heating into the conservatory initially.

ReplyQuote
(@bisfadmin)
Estimable Member Admin
03/12/2017 9:24 pm  

Hi Jaybee,

Yes it is, it looks very similar to an air conditioning unit but it's a blower heater that is remote control and blows both hot and cold air as required.

It was another Amazon purchase and it cost £69.99 but I have seen other models now on sale for £49.99 or less. It has a 2kw output and works really well.

If you search for over door fan heater on Amazon or eBay, you will find quite a selection, however I tend to search on Amazon more because I can read the reviews. Then I buy from whoever is cheapest.

I've put a direct Amazon link below for you.

Door Heaters 

Even though the prices vary quite a bit, they all seem to have similar review scores, so providing it was a UK seller without negative feedback, I'd probably go for the lowest price.

This is my model which I chose because the fins at the bottom made it look more like an air conditioning unit.

71bv7hC1xZL. SL1500
71bv7hC1xZL. SL1500

Some of the other models available at a lower price are:

71YeHzBWz8L. SY738
71YeHzBWz8L. SY738
71YeHzBWz8L. SY738
71YeHzBWz8L. SY738
71YeHzBWz8L. SY738

There are some heaters costing over £130+ but they actually get pretty poor reviews.

Edited: 1 week  ago

ReplyQuote
(@jaybee)
03/12/2017 9:53 pm  

I think the one I have just ordered may be the same as yours 🙂

I can get the electrician to sort it out for me on Tuesday hopefully

https://www.amazon.co.uk/PTC-Over-Door-Heater-Cold/dp/B00BC59DP0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1512337927&sr=8-1&keywords=door+fan+heater

ReplyQuote
(@bisfadmin)
Estimable Member Admin
04/12/2017 10:18 am  
Posted by: Jaybee

Marc I am in awe at the work (and the standard of that work) you do in your home.

I should have hired you when we first bought the house all those years ago and given you free reign over what to do with the house (maybe not quite as contemporary as you as we are old fuddy duddies now)

Sorry Jaybee, missed this reply yesterday.

Thank you for your kind comments, I'm certainly no pro though and I must admit I do make a fair few mistakes along the way. I think it's just part of being self taught through lots of trial and error.

Talking of trial and error, I'm right in the middle of building the porch right now and sadly I haven't taken that many photos of the process so far but boy have I felt like smashing it up a few times and calling the real pros in lol.

I've got a nice afternoon in front of me screeding the floor today but at least it's not frosty or raining.

You've been quite lucky with the weather too in respect to the conservatory, not a good time for a heavy downpour. Thank goodness we've had a few decent days.

The heater should be pretty straightforward to install I hope, probably from a spur or tapping into the socket ring. It's a nice addition which makes the conservatory useable on those chillier days.

And less of the old Fuddy Duddy's lol, age is but a number :0)

P.s is that the remnants of snow that I see on the lawn?

Edited: 7 days  ago

ReplyQuote
(@jaybee)
04/12/2017 10:39 am  

Yes - still a bit of snow around.

Ritchie is on putting the tapco tiles on the conservatory roof, and first of three layers of insulation are up inside. Everything is precut and just slots into place.

He is hoping to start on out porch roof tomorrow - a simpler job - polycarb off - exterior ply and felt laid and tapco over the top. Inside is just one layer of insulation and plasterboard. Plaster comes on Friday to plaster both conservatory and porch.

Electrician today for first fit in conservatory (I'll talk to him about fitting the heater for me)

Can't quite make out the electrics on you heater but it looks like you used a fused switch rather than socket?

ReplyQuote
(@jaybee)
04/12/2017 3:37 pm  

Tapco tiles going on. Not sure if you can see in the photo (taken through bedroom window) but each tile has alignment/overlap markings etc.

DSC7720
 DSC7720

ReplyQuote
(@jaybee)
06/12/2017 7:21 pm  

Awaiting plasterer coming on Friday to finish the ceiling of the conservatory.  Electrician comes Monday to fit spotlights.

2nd layer of insulation

DSC7721

3rd layer of 2" insulated plasterboard going up (Making 5" of insulation in total)

DSC7726

Tapco tiles completed

DSC7724

Edited: 5 days  ago

ReplyQuote

Working

Please Login or Register