Do You Live In a BISF House?
The Green Deal Is Back 2017

The Government’s energy efficient, home improvement loan scheme, the Green Deal, has just been relaunched – but this time it is being funded by the private sector. The first 3 loans have been issued according to Kilian Pender, the new Green Deal Finance Company chief executive. What is the Green Deal? The Green Deal was a Government scheme […]

DIY Patio Door Installation Project BISF House
A.J Balfour BISF House Frame Inspection & Repair
Consulting Civil and Structural Engineers

BISF Houses Are Not Defective Under Part XV1 of the Housing Act 1985 Of all the e-mails that we receive here at BISF House, by far the most common relate to home buyers receiving surveys whereby the Survyor has wrongly labelled a BISF house as “Defective under Prt XV1 of the Housing Act 1985. Before […]

BISF HOUSES
NOT DEFECTIVE
List of Precast Concrete Houses by Build Type.
List of Metal Framed Houses by Build Type.
In Situ Concrete Houses by Build Type.
Hawksley BL8 Aluminium Bungalow

The BL8 Bungalow is an aluminium framed system constructed between 1948 and 1950 and are semi-detached and detached units. Manufacturer: A W Hawksley Ltd – Bristol Aeroplane Co. Forms: Detached, semi-detached and terraced bungalows Built between 1948 -1950 AKA: Permanent Aluminium Bungalow, BL8D Aluminium Bungalow, Blackburn, Hawksley Aluminium Bungalow BL8 , BL8D Total Built Appx 55,000 Constructed almost entirely of aluminium, the […]

Arrow
Arrow
Shadow
Slider

BISF Survey  

RSS

20/07/2017 10:42 am  

Hi There

First time poster..I am looking at buying a BISF home mortgage free and wondered what sort of price I would be looking at for a ‘full comprehensive survey’?
Any recommendations?
Thanks
Bob

ReplyQuote
Ed (Senior Member)
Trusted Member

Hi Bob and welcome. I’m afraid I can’t help you with a price for the survey as I did not have one when we bought the house, but Marc may have an answer.

I would ask exactly what the survey involves as a full survey of a BISF house should look for the most likely serious problem: corrosion of the bases of the stanchions, especially at the corners of the house. It’s fairly rare, but if the house is going to have a serious problem that will be it. They will need to open up or use a boroscope on the inner lining of the house. Obviously this is a bit destructive.

You should also make sure the surveyor is familiar with BISF construction otherwise he or she may well not know where to look.

Ed

ReplyQuote
Grangey (Senior Member)

Hi Bob,

Normally a full survey should be in the region of either £350 or £500 if I recall correctly- but make sure you have the owners permission for this to be invasive. Without this the survey will be wasted as it will only be what the surveyor can see which if the interior and exterior have been okish maintained will leave very little to mention which will help you in deciding if the house is worth purchasing.

Grangey

ReplyQuote

Thanks for these helpful comments. I am mortgage free so need to instruct my own survey
Can anyone recommend a company?. The property is in Loughton Essex

ReplyQuote
Admin

Sadly we do not have a list of recommended surveyors. I would however suggest that whoever you approach you should ensure that they are proficient with and have experience in undertaking BISF house surveys, as many simply do not have a clue about this type of construction.

ReplyQuote

Thanks again , found a great surveyor and everything has been sorted for a decent price too
Just waiting for the sale to go through now:o)

ReplyQuote

Working

Please Login or Register