Notifications
Clear all
Due to circumstances beyond our control, BISF House.com will close permanently on Sunday 31st May 2020.

We are currently closed to new registrations 

Buying a BISF house, does it need a PRC guarantee?  

Page 1 / 2

Lauren Cooper
Registered
(@cooperlauren)

I'm currently looking at a BISF house (bridgend, south wales) and my mortgage company will lend but want to know if it, and the adjoining house, has a PRC guarantee.. i've asked the estate agent who is looking into to but what is it? and how would I find out? 

thanks

5 Replies
BISF Admin
Admin
(@bisfadmin)
Noble Member

Hi Lauren, first we need to establish that the property is indeed a BISF house, built by the British Iron & Steel Federation and not a different form of Non-Standard or Non-Traditional construction.

A BISF House itself does not need a PRC certificate because it was not constructed for Pre-Cast Reinforced Concrete (PRC) nor does it require any other form of repair certificate.

The only properties that do require repair certificates are a number of different property types that were designated as defective under housing defects legislation. These properties are only considered mortgageable if they have been repaired under a government approved repair scheme for which a certificate of repair is/was issued.

There are occasions when a surveyors wrongly identify a construction type as being of PRC or defective construction. This information is then passed on to the mortgage provider who in turn requests a repair certificate.
This leads me to the assumption that your property could possibly be: 
(1)A PRC constructed house.
(2) A wrongly classified house.
(3) The lender assumes that the house is of a type listed on the defective property register.

Can you provide the postcode of the property or the postcode of a nearby street containing identical properties in order to rule some of these assumptions out please?

I am aware of a number of BISF properties in the St Illtyds Road area.

Regards

Marc (Admin)

BISF Admin
Admin
(@bisfadmin)
Noble Member

Further to my last, I've just noticed your previous thread post that was awaiting moderation and I can confirm that the property does appear to be a BISF House and therefore does not require a certificate.

I'm going to merge the two topics into one here to keep things simple.

Lauren Cooper
Registered
(@cooperlauren)

Hi,
I'm on a desperate house hunt with a limited budget and Im viewing this one tomorrow

StIlltyds

I believe it's a BISF house as the address is listed on this site (St Illtyds Rd, Bridgend) 
I dont really know anything about it yet but I am slightly worried! It looks like its had work done as its been cladded and new doors/windows.

What sort of things should I look out for or ask about? 
Will a steel frame house be cold?

Lauren Cooper
Registered
(@cooperlauren)

Hi and thankyou! I relayed on the info to my mortgage company and they were happy to go ahead.

Unfortunately someone came in and offered a cash prince (3 hours after it went on the market) which has been accepted 🙁    Although it does make me suspicious when someone takes the first offer knowing they had viewings booked in all week... maybe I dodged a bullet.

Thankyou anyway though, there are alot of those type of properties in this area so it might still be useful!

Page 1 / 2
Share:
Scroll to Top