My BISF House Bathroom Refurbishment Project
Here's a selection of various stages of the refurbishment process.
I also wanted to introduce a little musical relaxation into the room using speech activation via the Amazon Alexa device. This in itself represented a challenge as all electrical connections etc had to be waterproof and of the correct standard to be fitted into a room that often gets wet and damp. Now obviously, electrics and water do not mix plus it would be unlawful for me to fit the electrics myself as I am not a qualified electrician.
I still managed to complete most of the installation myself as I chose to fit the small amplifier inside a waterproof box designed for garden electrical fittings. The box had to be waterproof because my loft can also get a little damp at times and I did not want to take any risks. The power for the amplifier was delivered using remote control power sockets so I didn't have to keep climbing into the loft to switch the unit on. I called in an electrician to install a waterproof 12v power supply for my Alexa DOT which was then mounted inside the wall cavity near to the shower. Alexa was placed inside a waterproof pvc pouch to prevent any contact with moisture and fully sealed.
Fitting the speakers into the ceiling was pretty straightforward but I had to be careful to position them in between the ceiling joists.
I also had a motion detector installed into the ceiling in order to do away with the typical bathroom pull cord for my lights.
Once complete, the entire system worked really well. I could simply enter my bathroom and ask Alexa to play my favourite music and then relax in a nice hot bath.
If you do decide to do anything similar yourself, I must stress that you do need to employ a qualified electrician to complete all contacts and test that the system is wired safely and fully protected from moisture. Your life could be at risk otherwise!
Onto some of the fittings I used now.
I decided that I no longer wanted to use a glass shower screen in my bathroom any more.
I had always found them to be intrusive, taking up valuable space which inevitably made the bathroom feel a lot smaller as the glass screen of the shower would always be right in my face as I entered the bathroom. Another factor was despite how often the glass was cleaned etc, over time it would always attract watermarks and sometimes mould would form around the rubber seal, no matter how often it was cleaned.
I began to search for alternatives and came across a nifty German designed shower curtain/ screen that worked a little like a roller blind. It comes as a white metal cartridge type unit that fits onto the ceiling, making it far less conspicuous. When required, you simply pull down on the looped cord and the curtain winds down from the ceiling into the bath.
After showering, I leave the curtain down for a short time to dry before winding it back up and out of sight.
I have yet to take a close up photograph of my unit but here are a couple of images showing how the units look when fitted. You can also buy any one of a large number of curtain designs.
Moving on to my bathroom suite, size was a huge factor here as I wanted to make the room feel as spacious as possible.
I chose to install a wall mounted sink and a toilet with a hidden cistern that would be mounted inside the cavity of the back wall. Fitting the toilet cistern was very tricky due to the diagonal brace that runs through the wall but after many, many hours of trial and error I managed to get the hidden cistern to fit inside the cavity and use a flexible hose to fed the water to the toilet bowl.
I also chose to install the pipework to all of my taps inside the wall cavities too so that I could fit recessed tap fittings directly into the wall. I'm no plumber though but I have taught myself how to braze pipes and install fittings etc and found it to be far easier than I expected.
I also installed a hidden magnetic service panel at the back of the W.C which is virtually invisible to the eye. Tiles are placed directly onto the steel panels which can be easily removed should I need to work on the cistern in the future.
Finally, here's a general gallery of the near completed room including the rather unusual radiator that serves a dual purpose as it provides extra heating for the room whilst keeping my towels dry too.
The whole project was completed on a fairly low budget, as I tried hard to source the highest quality ever as cheaply as possible on the internet. I would research high end products and try to source cheaper variants to suit my budget but obviously the biggest savings that I made was in respect to labour costs as the work myself saved a small fortune.
Thank you for taking the time to read my post and I hope that it may provide you with some ideas or inspiration in undertaking your own refurbishment project.