I am currently selling a house and I have being informed that it is of PRC construction and should therefore be valued as defective under Part XV1 of the Housing Act 1985.

I believe that the house is of BISF construction and consequently not on the defective housing list.

The address is 25 Hawthorn Road, Yeadon, Leeds LS19 7UT.

The property is currently being marketed by Waite & Co and their prperty reference is HAWTH/18074/5. You will be able to view the house here: http://www.vebra.com/property/3650/24666377.

Is it possible for you to confirm whether the house construction is PRC or BISF.

Thank You.

  • You must to post comments

Here’s a structural drawing of the Newland panels just for info.

Image Upload
  • You must to post comments

Hello Jim
Sorry to hear that you are having a problem with the identification of your house.

I’ve taken a look at the listing and also the street as a whole via Google Streetview.

You have clearly bestowed a lot of love and attention on your property and it is a credit to you but I’m sorry to have to tell you this but your property isn’t a BISF despite the the obvious similarities.

Your house is in fact a Newland House but also called a Tarran-Newland, built by Tarran Industries between 1944 and 1946.
Sadly though, and I hate to be the bearer of bad news but this type of property is indeed designated defective as it is constructed from Precast Concrete.

The properties directly opposite you are BISF houses which have been externally refurbished. The gable walls do look very similar to your property which is probably why there is confusion.

As the property is defective it is unlikely that that a buyer will be able to obtain a mortgage unless you property is repaired under an approved repair scheme. Once repaired you are issued with a repair certificate which will in effect make your property mortgageable to certain lenders who deal with non traditional builds.

I am not 100% certain but I would expect repair costs to be in the £20k region but each house type is different with varying specific structural repairs which will impact cost.

You really should have been told the construction type when you purchased your house. I would check your original survey as you may have some recourse against your surveyor.

If you choose not to have the property repaired, you may find a cash buyer but expect your sale price to be greatly reduced. You should also know that even when repaired, if you neighbours property adjoining you is not also repaired, some mortgage companies may still refuse to lend against your house.

Search for Google for PRC repairs and you will find a number of companies and videos which may provide you with further information.

I hope this helps but once again I am sorry to deliver the bad news.

If you need any further help please let me know.


  • You must to post comments
Showing 2 results
Your Answer
Guest Author
Post as a guest by filling out the fields below or if you already have an account.
Image Upload
Upload your image here
File Name Size
There are currently no files uploaded.
Maximum file size 1MB.
Supported file formats: gif jpeg jpg png